What better way to celebrate my possible gluten intolerance than with Mexican Tofu night! This meal was inspired by my "round" buddy Jessica or Shreshtalynn, who recently ventured into vegetarianism. All of this, which is easily a meal for two or three, is around $10 depending on where you're shopping.
1 pack of tofu (Extra Firm)
1 red bell pepper
1 pack of Taco Mix
1 white or yellow onion
1 can black beans
1 small container of plain Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
tortillas (brown rice, flour, corn, whatever hits your fancy)
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil (as needed)
1. Drain and cut tofu into small, roughly 1" cubes. Add olive oil to a medium-sized pan, enough to cover the bottom. Set to medium heat for about 1 minute before putting tofu in the pan. Let tofu fry while cutting vegetables. Lightly sprinkle some taco mix onto the tofu while frying. Tofu should be lightly browned, but not burned. Continue adding taco mix until satisfied.
2. Chop bell pepper, onion and tomato to be about 1" Add olive oil to a large pan, enough to cover the bottom. Set to medium heat for about a minute, and then drop vegetables in to sautee. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3. After the vegetables are pretty cooked, add the drained can of black beans. Leave them to cook for about another 3-5 minutes.
4. Set up your Greek yogurt in a small bowl. Get tortillas ready to fill!
5. Create your veggie burritos!