Thursday, February 21, 2013

Sneaky Polecat Trading Co.




About four months ago, I was sitting in a coffee shop making a list of all the things that made me happy. Among these things were food, friends, traveling, food, wine, great music, vintage, flea markets, art, New York, organizing, antique books and trinkets, food, and women. So once I crossed out all of the food, I said, to hell with it, next summer I'm going to have a spot at a flea market.

Now, wait. How? I had nothing to sell, no interest in making anything, and no time to wake up at 5:30 AM on the weekends to set up shop. But I knew I loved vintage, I knew I loved organizing, I knew I loved art. So why not combine everything into one mashed up experience? I've always been a fan of combining all the things I love into one bunch and hoping to Jesus and Buddha that everything works out. Most of the time it doesn't, although I'd like to think it does. And I guess all the other things that make me happy will just fill their way in too...


And that's how Sneaky Polecat Trading Co. was born. I was pretty tired of being able to tell people what aisle to find things in at the Container Store, exhausted of seeing the same IKEA bookshelf in every apartment I entered, and exhausted of seeing the same wall art from Urban Outfitters. Don't get me wrong, all these places and things are great, but something had to change. After months of planning and meeting up with people and researching items, I realized that Sneaky Polecat Trading Co. had successfully become one giant ball of amazingness.


While it was in the works, I got to go on dates with friends and loved ones to flea markets, talk to pop up owners and shop owners, research items like books and jewelry that I thought I never had time for, travel to places I never thought I would go, and talk to friends who create art that may not be your avant garde gallery work, but would look stellar in your living room or on your body. It was perfect. I even threw myself into the social media schpeel and am frankly too overwhelmed for my own good. But that's the great part! I'm learning every step of the way.



At times I was anxious this wouldn't work out, and that I would have an apartment full of hoarded vintage and antique items. But with the support of so many people, it's proved to be very rewarding and a great beginning for a new chapter in my life. For now you can find Sneaky Polecat on Etsy, www.etsy.com/shop/sneakypolecatnyc. In the next few months, we will be creating an official website and will make appearances in flea markets in the New York City area. 

There is also a tab at the top of my blog that will bring you directly to the Etsy shop. In the next few weeks, I will be posting more items and local art by Anny Crane. 

You can also follow us on Instagram at @sneakypolecatnyc or on Twitter at @sneaky_polecat. 




No comments:

Post a Comment